“It has been a rewarding experience achieving the full Chest Pain Center with Primary PCI with Resuscitation Accreditation. I would like to recognize the hard work and dedication from the Chest Pain Team at the hospital and Manatee County EMS for their help in improving the outcomes of our cardiac patients,” said Kevin DiLallo, CEO, Manatee Healthcare System.
Heart attacks are the leading cause of death in the United States, with 600,000 people dying annually of heart disease. More than five million Americans visit hospitals each year with chest pain. SCPC’s goal is to significantly reduce the mortality rate of these patients by teaching the public to recognize and react to the early symptoms of a possible heart attack, reduce the time that it takes to receive treatment, and increase the accuracy and effectiveness of treatment.
An Accredited Chest Pain Center’s (CPC) evidence-based, protocol-driven and systematic approach to cardiac patient care allows clinicians to reduce time to treatment during the critical early stages of a heart attack. Accredited facilities better monitor patients when it is not initially clear whether or not a patient is having a coronary event. Such monitoring ensures patients are neither sent home too early nor needlessly admitted.
SCPC’s CPC Accreditation process came about as greater numbers of facilities in the United States sought to establish standards and adopt best practices in the quality of care provided to patients experiencing chest pain. SCPC’s CPC Accreditation process ensures that hospitals meet or exceed an array of stringent criteria and undergo a comprehensive onsite review by a team of accreditation review specialists. Hospitals that receive SCPC CPC Accreditation status have achieved a higher level of expertise in dealing with patients who present with symptoms of a heart attack. They emphasize the importance of standardized diagnostic and treatment programs that provide more efficient and effective evaluation as well as more appropriate and rapid treatment of patients with chest pain and other heart attack symptoms. They also serve as a point of entry into the healthcare system to evaluate and treat other medical problems, and they help to promote a healthier lifestyle in an attempt to reduce the risk factors for heart attack.
By achieving SCPC’s Chest Pain Center with Primary PCI with Resuscitation Accreditation status, Manatee Memorial Hospital demonstrates expertise in the following areas:
· Integrating the emergency department with the local emergency medical system
· Assessing, diagnosing, and treating patients quickly
· Effectively treating patients at low risk for acute coronary syndrome and no assignable cause for their symptoms
· Continually seeking to improve processes and procedures
· Ensuring the competence and training of Accredited Chest Pain Center personnel
· Maintaining organizational structure and commitment
· Constructing a functional design that promotes optimal patient care
· Supporting community outreach programs that educate the public to promptly seek medical care if they display symptoms of a possible heart attack