Orange County Medical Society
Seminole County Medical Society
Significant changes in Florida Medicaid coverage parameters for opioids went into effect on Monday, February 26th, and another restriction will become effective March 26th.
Effective Feb. 26, 2018
- Prescriptions for short-acting narcotics for the treatment of acute pain are limited to a seven-day supply.
- Prior authorization is required for anything beyond this duration.
- Pharmacists in outpatient settings will receive Medicaid alerts for concomitant opioid and benzodiazepines.
- Patients must trial short-acting opioids prior to initiating long-acting agents.
Effective March 26, 2018
- Opioid prescriptions for patients who are new to opioid treatment will be limited to a maximum dose equivalent to 90 milligrams of morphine per day.
Click here to read a Florida Medicaid alert with details about these provisions and others regarding substance use disorder treatment options and prevention.