OCMS Poster Symposium
Call For Posters
Submission Deadline: December 7, 2018
The Orange County Medical Society (OCMS) is issuing a
Call for Scientific Posters for the 2018 Poster Symposium taking place during the OCMS Annual Meeting, January 22, 2019 at the Interlachen Country Club.
GENERAL POSTER SYMPOSIUM:
Divided into two categories: Basic Research and Clinical Case Report
RULES FOR SUBMISSION OF POSTERS:
· Presenting author must be a resident/fellow or medical student in Orange County and a member of the Orange County Medical Society.
· Poster applications must be submitted by December 7, 2018.
· Presenting author MUST be able to attend the symposium on Tuesday, January 22, 2019.
· Applicants are limited to ONE abstract submission.
· Each author may present ONE poster only
· Abstracts should be submitted online at the following address: www.ocms.org/page/AbstractSubmission
Cash prizes will be awarded to the top three posters chosen in each category of the General Poster Symposium.
Winners of the General Poster Competition will be announced during the Annual Meeting. All Poster Presenters are invited to attend the Annual Meeting.
Advanced Judging: Once all abstracts are submitted, a team of judges will review all abstracts based on the following CRITERIA:
· Project/case report design and methods: Project/clinical vignette is clearly designed; scientific/clinical procedures are appropriate and well organized; Author uses a logical scientific method and appropriate methodology/relevant history, physicals, and complementary studies are included.; Presenter exhibits a good understanding of the methods used/case report.
· Data: Effort has been made to identify all significant variables affecting the experimental results/case report, and those variables not manipulated as part of the experimental design have been controlled or there is an organized and logical algorithm of case presentation; Clinical topic is interesting and relevant to scientific knowledge.; Data is presented in a clear and understandable manner with an effort to eliminate bias.
· Discussion/Conclusion: The effect of experimental error was estimated and considered when drawing the discussion/conclusion or the discussion/conclusion are relevant and pertinent to the case.; Potential pitfalls and limitations of the project/case have been addressed.; The discussion and conclusion use relevant sources to compare and contrast the information that exists in literature.; The conclusion is consistent with the data and/or observations/case.
· Organization/Visual Presentation: Visuals are easy to read and logically organized; Grammar and syntax are correct.
On-‐site Judging: Authors poster presentation will be evaluated based on the author's ability to achieve the following:
· Explain the project/case report concisely
· Clarify the relevance of the project/case
· Answer questions thoroughly
Poster specifications: The OCMS will provide specific guidance and a template, as well as personal assistance via phone/email to ensure that each presenter has everything s/he needs to prepare a successful poster. Detailed instructions regarding the poster process will be sent with your acceptance email.
Content and Ethical Considerations: Posters are intended to convey a scientific result and may not contain advertisements for commercial interests, products or services. Volunteer physician members of the OCMS will make final decisions about eligibility. The OCMS reserves the right to deny any application that, in the opinion of the reviewers, is deemed promotional, commercial or unethical.